Dal Dhokli- Indian One Pot Meal
For The Dhoklis
|1 cup whole||Wheat flour|
|1 1/2 tbsp||Besan(Bengal gram flour)|
|1/2 tsp||Chilli powder|
|1/2 tsp||Turmeric powder|
|1/4 tsp||Ajwain (carom seeds)|
For The Dal
|1 cup||Toovar dal|
|5||Kokum soaked for 15 minutes and drained|
|3 tbsp||Chopped jaggery (gur) or as per taste|
|1 tsp||Ginger chilli paste|
|1/4 tsp||Turmeric powder|
|1/4 tsp||Cumin seeds|
|1/4 tsp||Asafoetida (hing)|
|1/2tsp||Saunf (fennel seeds)|
Method of Preparation
- To make the Dhoklis
- Make a slightly stiff dough, round it up and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- The roll it out with the help of a little dry flour into a round or a rectangle.
- Cut the dhoklis in any shape that you desire. It can be square, round ,rectangle or diamond shape.
- Today we are making rectangles. The thickness should be medium not very thick or thin.
- To make the daal.
- Boil the daal with 3 cups of water salt and turmeric powder.
- It would take 3-4 whistles to cook. Let the pressure in the cooker subside and the blend the dal using a hand blender.
- Add 2 cups of hot water to it and mix well.
- The dal should be well blended and a slightly towards the watery side.
- For the tempering
- In a pot add 2 spoons ghee.
- When its slightly heated add ginger chilli and garlic which are crushed well.
- Add the cumin seeds hing (asafoetida) saunf, dalchini , bayleaf, elaichi,laung and the dried chillies.
- Let all the spices crackle. Add the daal along with kokum and the gur.
- Let it boil for 5 minutes. Add the dhoklis to this dal.
- Let it cook for the next 15-20 minutes. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Heat ghee, add little cumin, hing, curry leaves and red chilli powder.
- Add it on top before serving.
- Squeeze half a lemon on top and enjoy it piping hot.